Code of Ethics
Each participant in the MAGIP GIS Mentoring program agrees to the following:
- Participation – of both parties – is voluntary. Either party may terminate the rapport if they feel it is not working. Both parties share responsibility for the smooth winding down and proper ending of their rapport.
- We will be honest with each other about how the rapport is working.
- We will respect each other’s time and other responsibilities, ensuring we do not impose beyond what is reasonable.
- We will meet and communicate in a mutually agreed upon pattern/time frame.
- We will not make any promises that we cannot keep.
- We will maintain confidence to the extent possible without violating the law or ethical principles.
- We will keep in mind our commitment to always act in the best interest of each other.
- At all times we will operate within the limits of our own competence. We will recognize where that competence has the potential to be exceeded and where necessary refer to a more experienced practitioner.
- We will avoid any impropriety, or appearance of impropriety.
- We will be aware of the potential for conflicts of interest of either a commercial or emotional nature to arise through the rapport and deal with them quickly and effectively.
- We understand that professional responsibilities continue beyond the termination of any mentoring rapport. These include the following:
- Maintenance of agreed confidentiality of all information
- Avoidance of any exploitation of the former relationship
- Completion of any follow-up which has been agreed to
- Safe and secure maintenance of all related records and data
- We will never represent the work and views of each other as our own.